Some of my readers know that I have been using MAC's Studio Tech cream foundation since last summer, which I actually bought because I was looking for their Full Coverage Foundation (which is a PRO item only). While I have enjoyed it over the last half year or so and have even re-purchased it when I finished my first compact, I wanted to try the Full Coverage Foundation to see if there was a real difference or not between them.
The first difference you'll notice is in the packaging. Studio Tech comes in a compact similar to Studio Fix, which comes with a mirror, pan of foundation and another compartment with a sponge. Personally I never use the sponge or mirror, so it's kind of unnecessary and bulky. Full Coverage Foundation comes in a big compact without the extras.
I was a bit alarmed when I turned them around, just to show a comparison of the back.
I decided to swatch both of them on a piece of paper if it was possible to see a difference.
So now for the face comparisons! I started my face off with MAC Prep + Prime Skin along with MAC Fix+ to prime my face.
Here you can see my bare face:
For applying this foundation, I used a MAC 130 brush (duo fiber brush with a small head) that was sprayed with MAC Fix+. Using Fix+ is helpful when using cream foundations because it makes it apply more evenly and hydrates the cream. These pictures will be a bit bigger so you can click on them and see the imperfections better. Remember to set cream foundations with a powder as well!
First up is Full Coverage:
So now that you've seen the pictures, I'll do a pros and cons for each of them.
- Lives up to the claim of being full coverage! Concealer is unnecessary to use.
- Doesn't feel too heavy on the skin.
- Applies evenly, no touch ups needed through out the day.
- Don't need to use a lot of product to cover the whole face.
- Same price as Studio Tech but comes with more product.
- Only available at MAC Pro Stores or online at very inflated prices.
- Might be too drying for dry skin types.
- Thick formula, so might not be good for every day use.
- Is a bit hard to wash off due to the thick formula.
- Coverage is buildable! Starts as a medium coverage that can be built up to full coverage.
- Don't need to use concealer if you build up the coverage.
- Nice creamy texture, doesn't feel heavy.
- Easy to apply, good for everyday use.
- Pricey considering the amount you get.
- Streaky application without touch ups and can be cakey if built up too much.
- Need to use more product depending on the coverage you want.
- Touch ups are needed sometimes.
Both are great cream foundations, but you need to pick it on your personal preferences. Studio Tech is a good foundation for everyday use and beginners. Full Coverage really lives up to the promises, but can be hard to use for beginners or for everyday use. Definitely a must use for those that have really bad skin problems.
Where to buy
Studio Tech: Available at all MAC stores and counters worldwide or online, $30.
Full Coverage: Available only at MAC PRO stores worldwide, $30. It's possible to find it online, but the prices are highly inflated.