I know there are a lot of people that are iffy with highlighting/contouring, so I thought I would make a post about the highlighters that I own! In the post I have swatches and short reviews of each of the products I have along with where to buy them and other recommendations.
Thoughts on each product:
- Looks similar to the Candy Doll product, but actually works more like the NYX highlighter!
- Highly pigmented with a matte finish.
- Don't need to use a lot for it to show.
- One of the most popular highlighters, made particularly for sweet/natural looks (Popteen).
- Very light in color/pigmentation with glitter.
- Doesn't particularly stand out on its own (my personal opinion).
- Super pigmented, only need a tiny amount for it to show a lot!
- Great price for how much product you get, and easy for highlighting beginners to use.
- The formula can be a little watery/inconsistent at times, so mixing a bit evens it out more.
- Probably my least favorite of the highlighters. Made specifically for gals with more glam looks (egg/nuts/JELLY/etc).
- A gold shade with lots and lots of glitter with very little pigmentation.
- Stands out more for the amount of glitter versus actual highlighting (my personal opinion).
- Great to use along with another highlighter.
What I personally do is use the NYX liquid highlighter (a very tiny amount) and putting it on the following areas (bottom right diagram):
If you can only afford to buy one highlighting product, the NYX liquid highlight or Eyemazing highlighters are great on their own.
Where to get them?
- NYX Liquid Highlight: Cherry Culture ($17) I also use Liquid Contour as well!
- Diamond Blush: A Pop of Kawaii ($17.70), Pinky Paradise ($19.99)
- Candy Doll: iMomoko ($16.95), Pinky Paradise ($19.99)
- Eyemazing: Venus Style (1260yen)
- NYX Mosaic Powder in Highlighter: Cherry Culture (On sale for $5.99)
- NYX Jumbo Pencil in Milk (check out Mei's Valentine's Day tutorial to see how she uses this as a highlighter): Cherry Culture (On sale for $2.99)
- Melliesh Cheek Color in Clear Lavender (see Jae's post comparing this to the Candy Doll highlighter): Pinky Paradise ($17.99)
- Candy Doll Concealer: iMomoko ($19.99), Pinky Paradise ($22.99)
- Maybelline Mineral Power Natural Perfecting Concealer (see how Romihi uses it as a highlighter): available anywhere where you can buy Maybelline!